Followers

About Me

My photo
The name is Selvamani.R. I was born in Rangoon, Burma now known as Yangoon and Myanmar respectively. I had my schooling in I.E.S. .Khalsa School there in Rangoon and came to Tamilnadu, India, did my Pre-University in Sir Thegaraya College,Chennai and M.B.B.S., in Madurai Medical College. Later did my Diploma and Masters Degree in the Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Egmore, Madras Medical College, Chennai.

Sunday, December 26, 2010

SPEAK CAREFULLY

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE

This happened in the beginning years of my Eye Practice.
One day a village man came with his wife, daughter and mother for consultation.
I prescribed glasses for his wife, treated a minor ailment for his daughter but found that his mother had ‘Mature Cataract” in both eyes which required early surgery,
When I said it the man shook his head and said ‘Just prescribe some drops for her sir, surgery is out of question “.
I was put off by his callous attitude and remarked a bit harshly “Then why are you wasting your and my time!’
The man replied very calmly which is still etched in my brain.
“Why do you say that we are wasting your time ? Charge whatever fees you want.
Just because you said that my mother needs surgery doesn’t mean that we have to do it. We have our own problems.”
I realized that I have said the wrong thing, underestimated him and been promptly and aptly reprimanded.

No comments:

Post a Comment