Followers

About Me

My photo
The name is Selvamani.R. I was born in Rangoon, Burma now known as Yangoon and Myanmar respectively. I had my schooling in I.E.S. .Khalsa School there in Rangoon and came to Tamilnadu, India, did my Pre-University in Sir Thegaraya College,Chennai and M.B.B.S., in Madurai Medical College. Later did my Diploma and Masters Degree in the Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Egmore, Madras Medical College, Chennai.

Monday, May 10, 2010

COLLEGE LIFE

BEFORE YOU BLAME SOMEONE...

When I was in my Under Graduate period in Madurai Medical College on one vacation I went to Chennai to see my close school friend who has joined in a city college. Having decided to go to a movie we went to the Electric Train Station and stood in the queue with him in front.
But when we approached the ticket counter I was in for a shock as I saw him purchase only one ticket.
With a heavy heart lamenting that times have changed him, I proceeded to buy a ticket.
But he caught my hand and pulled me put of the queue.
“What are you doing?” he hissed.
“Buying a ticket” I said a bit harshly.” I saw you purchase only one ticket!”.
“Yes “he replied. “That ticket is for you. I already have a season ticket.”
Then only the truth dawned on me. Though I pleaded and asked for his forgiveness he was relentless.
“How can you even think of me buying a ticket only for myself? “he fumed. “Is that how you rate our friendship?”
Needless to say the evening was ruined.
But that incident taught me one thing. Never to take anything on face value and to find a possible explanation.

A second incident proved how right it is..
One of my close relative did not attend my son’s wedding [such a long gap!]. Nor there was any news about his absence.
After a few months I saw him in a relative’s marriage.
My initial intention was to turn away and avoid him.
But remembering the train incident I approached him and after exchanging pleasantries said how much we missed him in our son’s wedding.
He nodded and said he lost his daughter-in-law in a traffic accident just two days before my son’s marriage and that is why he didn’t attend.
I was shocked and said that I never knew.
He said he asked the relatives not to convey the news to me as it would spoil my happiness in my son’s wedding.
Let him hear it in due course he had said.
Such magnanimity even in such dire circumstance.
At least I didn’t make a fool of myself, being saved by remembering the train incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment