Followers

About Me

My photo
The name is Selvamani.R. I was born in Rangoon, Burma now known as Yangoon and Myanmar respectively. I had my schooling in I.E.S. .Khalsa School there in Rangoon and came to Tamilnadu, India, did my Pre-University in Sir Thegaraya College,Chennai and M.B.B.S., in Madurai Medical College. Later did my Diploma and Masters Degree in the Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Egmore, Madras Medical College, Chennai.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

SHOP KEEPING

GOOD SHOP KEEPING

In our town there was a small shop which was always crowded.
The owner was always polite, listened to various people and managed the people worked under him with such efficiency that the customer was usually very satisfied.
One day I asked the worker boy to get a Bournvita bottle which was in the top shelf.
The boy instead of getting it quoted me the price.
I said O.K. and the boy proceeded to get the bottle.
But the owner who was watching the scenario became very angry.
He called the boy and asked why he quoted the price when I only asked to get the bottle.
“Did he ask you the price? Then why did you say it? Know first how to behave with the customers.” etc etc., so much that I had to pacify him.
He then told me that quoting the price when not asked for is an insult as it indirectly implied that the price is high and the customer doesn’t look like he will buy it !!. [ I must have looked very impressive !!]
Footnote- the shop is now in bigger premises and also has a sister concern [or should I say ‘brother concern’ as it is now managed by his two sons !].
Not surprising !!

No comments:

Post a Comment