Followers

About Me

My photo
The name is Selvamani.R. I was born in Rangoon, Burma now known as Yangoon and Myanmar respectively. I had my schooling in I.E.S. .Khalsa School there in Rangoon and came to Tamilnadu, India, did my Pre-University in Sir Thegaraya College,Chennai and M.B.B.S., in Madurai Medical College. Later did my Diploma and Masters Degree in the Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Egmore, Madras Medical College, Chennai.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Business Tactics

MAKING A DENT

I used to go to the “Burma Bazaar” on Beach line Road in Chennai now and then, to buy some petty items. Some of the shop keepers were known to me.
One day I went to buy ‘Tiger Balm’.
Though I saw lot of them stacked on show case, when I asked for it the shop keeper asked me to wait for some time as he had to get it from a nearby place.
When I pointed out the shelf he said it is not for me implying that they are spurious.
At that time one man came and asked for a tin of Ovaltine.
He surveyed the shelf and wantonly chose one with a noticeable dent.
After he has moved off with the purchase I asked the shopkeeper why the man chose a dented tin.
The shopkeeper said it is the belief of many people that the dented ones are ‘genuine’ as the spurious dealers will not choose them for refilling.
So what will you do when you are exhausted with the dent ones I said surveying the neat cans.
He grinned, took one Ovaltine can, and with a small hammer kept below, made a nice dent, placed it on the shelf, winked and said “We keep on replacing them” .


No comments:

Post a Comment