Followers

About Me

My photo
The name is Selvamani.R. I was born in Rangoon, Burma now known as Yangoon and Myanmar respectively. I had my schooling in I.E.S. .Khalsa School there in Rangoon and came to Tamilnadu, India, did my Pre-University in Sir Thegaraya College,Chennai and M.B.B.S., in Madurai Medical College. Later did my Diploma and Masters Degree in the Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Egmore, Madras Medical College, Chennai.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

WHEN SILENCE IS GOLDEN

KNOW WHEN NOT TO SPEAK

The time – when I was making good progress in Private practice-
One day a newly married lady came to me with her husband for refraction as she had headache [No she didn’t mean her husband!].
I thought I have seen her before and asked her what happened to her old glasses.
“What glasses?” she retorted. “This is the first time I am seeing you and I have never worn glasses before. You are confusing me with somebody else.”
I apologized and after refraction prescribed her the necessary glasses.
After two days she came for checking the glasses she had bought and this time she came alone..
“I am very sorry doctor” she apologized.” You were right. I came to you for eye testing about a year back and you did prescribe me glasses. I wore it for some time and because of my marriage I discarded it as we didn’t want the bridegroom or our in-laws to know that.”

A somewhat alike situation much later [You never learn !].
This time a prominent doctor’s wife brought her daughter for some eye ailment and I advised her the necessary treatment.
A few days later I saw her at a social function and enquired about her daughter.
I was surprised to see her squirming and replying like “ Hmmm..she is studying in 3rd standard ..” as if she hasn’t heard me right.
I moved on chatting with other people.
A little later she sought me out and said “ I am very sorry sir. You see Dr.X [another Ophthalmologist] was standing by the side when you asked. He is very helpful to us from the time we came to this town. We came to you for treatment as we heard that you are good.” [That’s right ! Blow the trumpet whenever you can !! ] “I didn’t want him to know that we came to you.”.
Howizzit !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment