Followers

About Me

My photo
The name is Selvamani.R. I was born in Rangoon, Burma now known as Yangoon and Myanmar respectively. I had my schooling in I.E.S. .Khalsa School there in Rangoon and came to Tamilnadu, India, did my Pre-University in Sir Thegaraya College,Chennai and M.B.B.S., in Madurai Medical College. Later did my Diploma and Masters Degree in the Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Egmore, Madras Medical College, Chennai.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

HOUSE SURGEONCY

DIABETIC COMA

Once B got a memo to attend a diabetic coma patient in his ward.
When he came back I wanted to pull his leg by asking whether he had tested for Ketone bodies in urine as I was sure he wouldn't have remembered the procedure. B didn't reply to my question and just glared.
When I repeated the question he shouted "Are you mad? I am telling you he was in coma. How could I test his urine?'
This surprised all of us and I said he has committed a blunder. He should have catheterized and tested the urine as we never knew whether the patient was in hypo or hyperglycaemia.
I asked him what treatment he had given. He said he has injected 40 units of Plain and Lente Insulin..
I said “Don’t bother! If he had hypoglycaemia he would have been dead by now!"
B muttered something and lied down.
But he couldn't sleep and soon dressed up and went to the ward again.
About an hour later he came back, said “Brick red" and lied down again.

No comments:

Post a Comment