Followers

About Me

My photo
The name is Selvamani.R. I was born in Rangoon, Burma now known as Yangoon and Myanmar respectively. I had my schooling in I.E.S. .Khalsa School there in Rangoon and came to Tamilnadu, India, did my Pre-University in Sir Thegaraya College,Chennai and M.B.B.S., in Madurai Medical College. Later did my Diploma and Masters Degree in the Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Egmore, Madras Medical College, Chennai.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

LIFE AFTER COLLEGE

PRIMARY HEALTH CENTRE – DD’S VISIT

As soon as I finished house surgeoncy I was posted in a Primary Health Center, as per routine.
It was in Tiruchi district near Karur.
There was already a Medical Officer and I was posted as Family planning officer.
He was senior to me by about 3 years. We will call him “V” hereafter.
We got along well together and as I was a novice I looked forwards to his guidance in administration.

One day a Deputy Director visited our PHC.
Though it was supposed to be a surprise visit, the District Health Officer who was on very good terms with the doctors, leaked the news and we were prepared for it.
The rooms were thoroughly cleaned, family planning and other health posters were prominently displayed and we were in PHC quite early and seeing the out patients.
The DD arrived at bout 10 a.m.
As soon as he entered we saw he was in an agitated mood.
He told us why.
Just a few miles before our village the car has hit a calf-buffalo, which sustained some minor injury and the villagers have surrounded the vehicle angrily. Only after the driver has paid Rs.70/- [quite a large amount in those days] they were allowed to proceed.
I couldn’t help observing that the DD hasn’t offered to pay the money!

The DD said that we must be quite influential and well known in the area and asked us to find the person, get the money and return it to the driver.
I was perplexed as to how to find the concerned person.
But Dr V said calmly. “Oh! Don’t worry sir! We can do it easily. Please carry on with your inspection.”
“I will carry on with this doctor” he replied pointing to me. “You do the needful immediately.”
V left the room.
I stayed with the DD for sometime. As I was interested to know what V was doing, I went outside.
One PHC employee told me that V was standing behind the Quarters.
I went and saw that V was calmly smoking.
I asked him what he had done to find the person concerned.
He stared at me.
“How can we? “he asked. “Even if we did find out do you think he will repay the money?”
I was also thinking on the same line and asked “So what are we going to do?”
“We have to pay the money. There is no other way.
You go in and keep the DD company. I will come after some time.”

As promised he came to the room later, looking busy, with Rs.70/- in his hands and with a broad smile.
He said the person has come and paid the money to him immediately.
The DD was very pleased.
“I know that you doctors will be famous and influential here.
By the way where is the person?” he queried.
“I told him that you are an important officer from Madras and he ran away thinking that we might hand over him to the police.”
Needless to add the DD was very happy, the inspection went on smoothly and we got good remarks !!
Full marks to V for his presence of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment