Followers

About Me

My photo
The name is Selvamani.R. I was born in Rangoon, Burma now known as Yangoon and Myanmar respectively. I had my schooling in I.E.S. .Khalsa School there in Rangoon and came to Tamilnadu, India, did my Pre-University in Sir Thegaraya College,Chennai and M.B.B.S., in Madurai Medical College. Later did my Diploma and Masters Degree in the Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Egmore, Madras Medical College, Chennai.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

HOUSE SURGEONCY

PLEURAL EFFUSION

On one admission day in the late night hours I saw a lady patient with breathlessness in Casualty.. I diagnosed it as pleural effusion, admitted in female medical ward [in which I was working] and showed it to the assistant Dr.V.
He agreed with the diagnosis with reservation and asked me to take an emergency X-ray.

I was very confident about the diagnosis and protested vainly saying that the patient is dypnoeic and ought to be aspirated right away.
We took emergency X-ray which confirmed the pleural effusion, went to the DAP quarters and showed it to him.
He asked me whether I can do the aspiration. When I said I was eagerly waiting for it he checked whether I knew the procedure and permitted me.
I and R went to the ward and got the 3 -way adapter [it was a luxury at that time].

When I hit the intercostal space clear straw colored fluid gushed through and the patient felt comfortable immediately.
"Makes you feel proud, eh?” said R who was present with me from the beginning.
I nodded happily.
"Yes" came the voice from the assistant who had come quietly and had been watching the procedure.“I wish I had your confidence!” [Nothing like blowing your own trumpet whenever possible !!]

No comments:

Post a Comment