Followers

About Me

My photo
The name is Selvamani.R. I was born in Rangoon, Burma now known as Yangoon and Myanmar respectively. I had my schooling in I.E.S. .Khalsa School there in Rangoon and came to Tamilnadu, India, did my Pre-University in Sir Thegaraya College,Chennai and M.B.B.S., in Madurai Medical College. Later did my Diploma and Masters Degree in the Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Egmore, Madras Medical College, Chennai.

Friday, July 23, 2010

HOUSE SURGEONCY

TETANUS TREATMENT

One day in the dressing room in Operation Theatre I heard our Asst. discussing with the PG something about treatment of Tetanus. When I asked them they said they were wondering whether Penicillin is active against Tetanus bacilli.
I said it is very much active and that is why we are giving it to Tetanus patients in ID ward..
"Otherwise, why should we give it?" I asked.
The PG said that it might be given for secondary infections. I refused to accept it and said if Penicillin is not active then we should have been giving some antibiotic which is active.
They remained silent for sometime and the PG said to the Asst. that he will verify the text book and tell him the next day.
I intervened and said "What is there to refer? I am sure that Penicillin is active against Tetanus." and walked out.
Later one senior house surgeon who was present told me that their faces were a sight to behold after my vehement statement.
I quietly referred the text book and was relieved to find what I said was true.

No comments:

Post a Comment